I don’t know about you, but I LOVE stuffing! Hopefully, by now you’ve learned that cooking your turkey stuffed with this stuff is a big NO, NO! You run the risk of contamination from the raw turkey in your stuffing, so now if I cook a turkey whole instead of a Spatchcocked Turkey , then I fill the cavity with aromatics (like cinnamon, apples, onions & herbs) to help flavor the bird.
Even though we don’t stuff our bird, we’d still like to have stuffing as a side, it’s just not Thanksgiving without it! So, enter the yummiest stuffing ever! I cooked it in the Instant Pot, but you can totally follow these instructions and cook on the stove top if you’d like!
- Feel free to add or subtract any of the veggies or proteins, or even add your own ideas if you’d like! We love Chicken Apple Sausages at our house and love the added flavor and texture they add to this dish!
- Make sure to scrape off ALL the brown bits on the bottom of the instant pot before sealing and pressure cooking or you will get a burn warning
- Allow the pot to cool down a bit before sealing, and pressure cooking or you will get a burn warning
Non-Instant pot Instructions
- Heat Olive oil in large skillet or heavy-bottomed pan over med-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, carrots & celery and a little bit of salt. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add sliced mushrooms, garlic & fresh herbs, cook 2-3 mins.
- Push veggies to the sides, creating space to add Sage Sausage and brown.
- Add Chicken apple sausages. Cook 2-3 minutes
- Add Chicken Broth (you will need about 3 cups of broth instead of 1.5 cups) & stir, cook 2-3 min
- Turn heat off, add stuffing cubes & stir. Cover for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325. Loosely pack Stuffing in a buttered Casserole dish and top with Fried onions. Bake until crispy 20-40 minutes.
Instant Pot Sausage Stuffing
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Sage chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme minced
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 lb Sage Flavored Sausage
- 8 oz Baby Bell Mushrooms sliced
- 1 whole Chicken Apple Sausage Links diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 pkg Stuffing Mix
- 1.5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Fried Onions
- Turn instant pot onto to Saute mode. Add Olive Oil and saute onions, celery & carrots. Cook for 3 minutes. Add fresh herbs and cook another 2 minutes.
- Make space for sage sausage, brown sausage. Add mushrooms and diced chicken sausage links. Add Salt & Pepper, stir to combine.
- Add stuffing mix, stir.
- Add chicken broth and stir. Make sure to scrap the bottom of the pot to deglaze the pot. Turn off Saute mode, allow the pot to cool slightly. Then cover and seal your instant pot. Set to high pressure and 12 minutes.
- Let instant pot release naturally, remove lid and fluff. If you like a more wet stuffing, stop here and dish into a serving dish, top with fried crispy onions.
- If you want to dry your stuffing out, place in casserole dish, top with crispy onions and bake at 350 degrees for 10 min, serve.