Mashed potatoes are probably the epitome of comfort food! For me, I LOVE the creaminess that the red potatoes bring to the party. My other favorite addition is a little bit of sweet potato to the mix. It adds another level of flavor and packs in some awesome nutrients but keeps the mash still tasting savory and not like mashed sweet potatoes.
Cooking mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot makes your life easier because once you’ve chopped your potatoes you set the pot to cook and you don’t have to worry about draining the water or the water boiling over. Also, it frees up space on your stove for other items to cook, or it doesn’t heat up your house!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes TIPS
- When chopping your potatoes, try to make them all similar in size
- If you like a “chunkier” mashed potato, then leave your potato cuts larger
- If you like a “creamier & smooth” mashed potato, cut your potatoes smaller
- I have Half & Half in my video recipe, but I actually didn’t end up needing it because of the consistency I was looking for. Cooking in the instant pot keeps everything more moist, so if you like a thicker, chunkier mash then you probably won’t need the cream
- The seasonings used are really ALL TO TASTE. Feel free to adjust to your liking, or try adding some parmesan cheese if you want a cheesy flavor! Use your creativity to get the flavor profile you enjoy!
CHECK OUT MY OTHER HOLIDAY RECIPES HERE:
- DRY AGED THANKSGIVING TURKEY
- PALEO SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- INSTANT POT SAUSAGE STUFFING
- BISCOFF COCONUT CREAM PIE
- ORANGE GLAZED DINNER ROLLS
- FESTIVE BRUSSEL SPROUT SALAD
- INSTANT POT BACON & HERB SCALLOPED POTATOES
- CHRISTMAS SMOKED PRIME RIB
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Red Potatoes
- .5 lb Sweet Potatoes
- 1.5 Cups Chicken Stock (or vegetable broth)
- 4 Tbsp Butter salted
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder more or less to taste
- 2 Tbsp Chives chopped
- Half & Half or Heavy Cream (if needed)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel Sweet Potatoes and chop into 1in cubes. Chop Red potatoes into 1 inch cubes (i do not peel my red potatoes, we enjoy the skin, but you can peel these if you’d like)
- Add to your Instant Pot, pour in chicken broth and seal instant pot. Set to High Pressure and set the timer for 6 min.
- When the Instant Pot is complete, safely quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Add butter & mash slightly. Mix in ½ the garlic powder and all the sour cream.
- Stir and mash to your desired consistency. If it is too thick, add cream.
- Add ½ the chives and salt & pepper to taste. Add more garlic if you desire.
- Serve and garnish with remaining chives.