My husband claims he could live on this salad (or dip) for the rest of his life! My kids actually say the same, when they aren’t busy stuffing their faces with this! Both my husband and kids enjoy this Cowboy Caviar with Blue Corn Tortilla chips.
WHAT IS COWBOY CAVIAR?
It is basically a cross between a salad & a dip. Some people enjoy it with a spoon and others enjoy it with chips! We do both in this house! It also known as Texas Caviar and that is where it originated from. I read its even supposed to bring you good luck! Many people enjoy this on New Years Eve to help give them good luck in the new year!
It is a combination of beans and fresh vegetables. Most have a combination of black beans and black eyed peas, I normally just stick to black beans because I never have black eyed peas on hand. Then you add some corn (fresh is best when in season, if not you can sub canned or frozen), fresh tomatoes (can sub canned diced), red onions, avocados, cilantro & a yummy vinaigrette.
We like to add it to our steak tacos! I take my Grill Tri Tip, this Cowboy Caviar, my Avocado Chimichurri and pile it all on top of some grilled corn tortillas… BOOM the most tasty Tri Tip Tacos! Some nights we just eat this and chips… I’m not sure if it’s a completely balanced meal, but it is just that yummy and satisfying!
Do you not like cilantro? Well… first off, you are crazy! (j/k), but secondly you can leave it out… but that’s up to you! You can definitely add black eyed peas to be more “traditional”, add some chopped red bell peppers, grilled zucchini, really the possibilities are endless!
TIPS & TRICKS
- When I use fresh corn, I like to grill it instead of boil it before. It just boosts it’s sweetness and I like that little bit of char flavor.
- Using fresh tomatoes, some people remove the seeds and juicy parts… I always include them though, it’s up to you!
- Rinse your canned black beans.
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 ears Corn on the cob grilled and cut from cob (can sub for 2 15 oz cans or 3.5 cups of frozen, thawed)
- 2 Large tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 1/2 Cilantro bunch washed and chopped
- 2 Avocados diced
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Mix all salad ingredients into large bowl
- Blend all dressing ingredients and pour over salad and toss together.
- Enjoy! (can be made the night before and stored in the fridge)