I am always on the lookout for a delicious and healthy salad to compliment my holiday meals. I want it to be healthy but not filled with a ton of ingredients, just simple, healthy and tasty. And this recipe hits the nail on the head perfectly!
I love shaved brussel sprout for these types of salads because they pack such a high nutritional punch because they are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Here are some quick facts about some of the awesome benefits of Brussel Sprouts
- Brussels sprouts are especially rich in vitamin K, which is necessary for blood clotting and bone health.
- They’re also high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps promote iron absorption and is involved in tissue repair and immune function
- They are high in fiber which helps support regularity and gut health
- Brussels sprouts contain small amounts of vitamin B6, potassium, iron, thiamine, magnesium and phosphorus
- Brussels sprouts contain kaempferol, an antioxidant that may reduce cancer growth, decrease inflammation and promote heart health.
This salad (besides being super healthy for you) is also very versatile, you can remove or add ingredients to your liking, so be creative! It also is super easy to throw together and because the Brussel sprouts are so hardy, you can even assemble this salad ahead of time (like 24 hrs before serving) and even pour the dressing on and the salad stays fresh and crispy! So this makes your holiday cooking prep even easier!
I think Brussel Sprout have gotten a bad wrap in their past, but they have easily become one of my favorite vegetables cooked or raw! I hope, even if you are a Brussel Sprout hater, that you will try my many Brussel Sprout recipes and give these nutritional powerhouses a chance!
Brussel Sprout Salad
- 4 dzn Brussel Sprouts
- 1 whole Pomegranate seeded
- 6 slices Bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shaved
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 whole Lemon juiced
- 1 whole Orange juiced
- 1/2 cup Honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the Brussel sprouts, or use a mandoline to thinly slice. You want a thin slaw-like texture; place in a bowl.
- Add Parmesan Cheese, crumbled bacon & pomegranate seeds to bowl.
- In separate bowl mix lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, honey; mix well then add salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Should last well in the fridge for 1-2 days.